Special Message – COVID-19

Our Response to COVID-19

Hello Camp Families!

We’ve been thinking a lot about this summer, and have been in constant prayer about what to do. If you’ve been watching our Facebook page, or received e-mails from us, you have probably seen a few responses to this pandemic, but we have been trying to wait so that we wouldn’t have to change and decisions made multiple times. Below you’ll find a video with our latest update on our response to the global pandemic known as COVID-19. This is just a short response and update, but for more information continue reading below.

As stated in the video, here is the link to the American Camp Association (ACA) website for the document developed by Environmental Health & Engineering, LLC. This outlines what they consider to be some best practices in light of what we have been facing in recent months. Even prior to this release, we had been in talks with our local pediatrician that provides us with standing orders, and the local health department about things to consider. We had developed what we believe to be a good response. Based on this document, we are updating some of the language in our document so that the two will sound similar.

Some of the highlights of the video (and a little more information that we couldn’t “fit” in the video) that we want to emphasize are:

  • We are planning to open camp beginning July 1, however this can still change.
  • Some of the changes to expect to our program are: smaller cabins sizes, minimizing times that large groups will be together, increased cleaning and sanitizing, and increased pre-camp wellness checks.
  • Whether we can have camp depends on several things. One of the biggest things we need is specific guidance from the State for overnight summer camps. I have contacted several state officials, and I have also got several responses back. They are working on something, but can’t give us any indication on when it will be available. I was recently invited to take part in a conference call to lend insight and direction to the government as they are working to develop their guidance.
  • If the state says we can operate, there are still several other factors for us to consider. The standards that they recommend we may feel will put too much burden on our staff. We may see an increase in cases, and decide for ourselves we don’t want to open, or we may not have enough campers to open.
  • We need you to register for camp now. You don’t have to worry about losing your deposit, because of our change in cancellation policy.

More than ever, we want to see you all this summer! We love our campers and their families, and your health and safety is always one of our top priorities. We are not, and will not take that responsibility lightly. If we are allowed and we believe we can safely operate, then we want to have you all here. We have always believed that kids need camp, and we believe in the mission of camp. I believe that this year, more than ever, we all need camp.

Until we see each other again, stay healthy and stay safe. If there’s nothing else you remember, remember that we love you, and most importantly that God loves you, and that’s why we are here.

In His Service,



Steve Gourley, Director